Increasing your home’s appeal
You have one opportunity to make a winning first impression. Here are some simple to significant ways to achieve this:
* Keep the grass cut and remove all yard clutter.
* Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds.
* Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
* Tighten and clean all door handles.
* Clean windows inside and out.
* Powerwash home’s exterior.
* Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
* Place potted flowers (colorful ones) near the front door.
* Evaluate the furniture in each room and remove anything that interrupts “the flow” or makes the room appear smaller.
* Clean and organize cabinets, closets and bookshelves.
* Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans.
* Remove excessive wall hangings, knick-knacks and photos.
* Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
* Make minor repairs (torn screens, sticking doors, cracked caulking).
* Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
* Replace worn cabinet and door knobs.
* Fix or replace discolored grout.
* Replace worn countertops.
Special details for showings
* Turn on all the lights and lamps, too.
* Open all drapes and shutters in the daytime.
* Keep pets secured outdoors and contained – not everyone is an animal lover.
* Vacate the property while it is being shown.